Addendum, some weeks later: I keep the below post for historical reasons, regretting its defeatist tone and my nervous over-sensitivity.
Ron Paul delivered an unsatisfactory performance in tonight's debate among Republican presidential candidates. He was not assertive enough and failed to distinguish himself by filling in the wide gaps left in the arguments of his opponents with his uniquely sound take of the matters.
His rhetorical presentation was defective; however, his message still comes across as very powerful, once revisited in the transcript.
But this is not good enough for an uphill battle.
Some of his staunchest supporters, all of a sudden contemplating third party solutions, if not calling for them outright, desperately divert their disappointment by decrying the sorry state of the Republican base, whose faction unfriendly to Ron Paul had an audible presence in the hall.
At this particular juncture, Ron Paul may simply have been too used to the enthusiasm of his exponentially growing support to cope effectively with a hostile reception such as tonight's (for all I can tell from the video stream).
Tonight, he lacked command of his stupendous ability to explain liberty concerns popularly, in a nutshell and in a way large audiences can relate to.
As far as questions asked and attention span go (other set-up elements I cannot judge), the interviewers have been fair to him.
Ron Paul missed an important opportunity to present himself as the only credible Republican candidate.
I think it is clear now that the nomination is lost.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment